To contact the Banking Ombudsman in the UK, one can either call the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) on 0800 023 4567 (free from a landline) or 0300 123 9 123 (free from a mobile) or write to them at:
Financial Ombudsman Service Exchange Tower London E14 9SR
The process of using the Banking Ombudsman in the UK involves the following steps:
- First, the customer must make a complaint to their bank and give the bank an opportunity to resolve the issue.
- If the customer is not satisfied with the bank’s response, or if the bank has not responded within 8 weeks, they can refer the complaint to the FOS.
- The FOS will then investigate the complaint and may require additional information from the customer and the bank.
- Once the FOS has gathered all relevant information, they will make a decision on the matter and inform both the customer and the bank of their decision.
- The FOS’s decision is binding on the bank, but not on the customer.
- If either the customer or the bank is unhappy with the FOS’s decision, they have the right to take the matter to court.
It’s important to note that the FOS can only consider complaints that fall within its jurisdiction and that the customer must raise their complaint with the FOS within six months of receiving the final response from the bank